"Fasting" means you:
- Should not eat food 12 hours before the sample is taken.
- Should not drink beverages (other than water) during the 12 hour period.
- Should not use mints, cough drops, or throat lozenges during the 12 hour period.
- Should not smoke or excerise at least 24 hours before the test
- Are permitted to drink water during the 12 hours before the sample is taken.
- Should take precribed medications during the 12 hour period (unless directed otherwise).
- Are permitted to brush your teeth during the 12 hour period.
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about fasting tests;
Q: Why do I have to fast?
A: Some test values change following the digestion of food. For example, if you eat lots of sugars, your blood sugar will be high. When you are fasting, we get a base result that can be compared over time.
Q: What time should I come to the laboratory?
A: You should aim to reach the laboratory between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Q: Can I drink anything?
A: You may have small amounts of water, but nothing else e.g. juice, tea, coffee, alcohol etc.
Q: Should I take my medication?
A: Yes, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
Q: Can I chew gum or smoke?
A: No chewing of gum, Gum stimulates your digestive system and can alter test results.
Q: Can i smoke?
A: No. Smoking can affect your test results.
Q: Can I exercise?
A: No. Exercise or any other physically strenuous activity is not recommended. This can affect your test results.
How to pepare for a blood test.
- Please follow the instructions given to you by your doctor.
- If you are uncomfortable in any way, please inform the lab technician. Your comfort and care is important to us.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask the lab technician.
Basic Lab Standards
Safety is extremely important to us. We adhere to strict guildines - ALL needles, tubes and any other instruments use to take blood are only used ONCE and then promptly and properly discarded.